Merrick Hall was built in 1873 as one of the first academic buildings completely dedicated to the sciences. Named after beloved OWU president, Fredrick Merrick (1876-1888), this building has held a variety of departments throughout its distinguished life. When it was used as a science building, it included a museum on the third floor that contained a variety of specimens for students to examine. Later, it was used as an alumni center. As Merrick Hall aged it fell into a state of disrepair, inspiring one student to describe it in the student newspaper, The Transcript, it as a home “for wayward birds” in desperate need of shelter rather than an academic building. In 2015 an anonymous couple donated the funds to renovate Merrick Hall. It was repurposed as a home for the OWU Connection, a resource for students writing grants and studying abroad. The renovation of Merrick Hall created state of the art classrooms and a conveniently located cafe in the lobby. According to current president Rock Jones the renovation gave the space “new vitality”.